Importing existing data
Existing data can be imported into the map workspace to provide additional context for users in the field. Imported data can also be sent to the field to be updated and maintained (see Task-based data maintenance (ToDos)).
You can import data in files up to 40 MB in size in the following file formats:
- Shapefile – Import one or more Shapefiles, contained in a .zip file. Point, line, and polygon features will be imported. Other feature types, including multipoint, annotations and dimensions will not be imported.
- Esri File Geodatabase – Point, line, and polygon features will be imported. Other feature types, including multipoint, annotations and dimensions will not be imported.
- KML or KMZ – Created from Google Earth.
The imported files must be in the same datum as the map workspace you are importing to. The projection or zone used in the imported file does not have to match the map workspace. You can also import files that use the WGS 1984 datum into any map workspace. For more information, see Coordinate systems in Map Viewer and TerraFlex.
To import data to the map workspace
- In the map workspace, click the button below the Data list and select Import from file. The Import file pop-up appears.
- Click the Browse button to select the file from your device, or drag and drop the file into the dialog to upload.
- Once import is complete the layers and data are added to the map workspace.